If you are living with Parkinson’s disease, you know that advanced preparation is essential to making the most of each day.
Your new Aware in Care kit will help you prepare for your next hospital stay. The tools and information in your kit will also help protect you in case of an emergency situation.
The National Parkinson Foundation recommends the following steps for you to take:
- Connect with your local NPF chapter to get involved in our campaign to change hospital care for people with Parkinson’s for the better! Call our helpline at 1-800-4PD-INFO to learn more.
- You can ask for a kit from your NPF chapter or order your Aware in Care kit directly from NPF today. If you live in Canada, call Parkinson Alberta at 1-877-243-9992 to order your kit.
- Read the Hospital Action Plan booklet. Take the time to understand how to use each item in your kit and how to prepare for either a planned or emergency hospital visit.
- Pack your Aware in Care kit. Add an emergency contact list, an extra supply of your Parkinson’s medications, a completed Medication Form, and a copy of your health care proxy card.
- Wear your new Parkinson’s Disease ID Bracelet and put the Medical Alert Card in your wallet. These two items work together to help alert health care workers about your Parkinson’s diagnosis in case of an emergency situation.
- Talk to your care partner, Parkinson’s doctor and primary care physician about Aware in Care. Let them know about how you are preparing for your next hospital visit and how they can help.
- Tell others about Aware in Care. If you have friends or colleagues living with Parkinson’s, please share Aware in Care with them so that we can raise awareness of these serious issues.